Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Obviously Overdue


So here we are gettin to mid-December and I have not even commented on the news story of the year. Yes we all know who won the election. Obama is on his way to being the president of these United States. I watched the result coverage at a friend's apt in Manhattan. We were both surprised by all the yelling and carrying on that we could hear from the streets and neighboring apartments. I was happy but I just didn't feel the need to be out there cheering and all. I guess I'm a cynic to the bone cause even this historic event couldn't get me as excited as I thought I'd be. I feel like this guy has such a huge challenge ahead of him. I should probably rephrase that into we all have such a huge challenge in front of us. If I didn't pay attention to the rest of the news for the past year and a half I think I would have been able to share in the elation. Our country is in such a hole right now that people who believe he can fix all this by himself are kidding themselves. I think it was much easier for Bush to flush the underwear down the toilet than it's gonna be for Obama to get into the pipes and pull them out. 

These unemployment numbers are ridiculous, along with our budget and these financial bailouts. The whole big 3 issue is still out there and so is the stock market and so on and so forth. I do know that our government and media sell fear so I don't wanna take the whole bait, but there are some serious problems out there.

As far as the impact of having Obama as president... I think it will be a great look for the youth. To be honest I always knew we could/would have a Black president. I did figure he would be younger than me though. the reason I knew it would happen is because of Harold Washington. If a Black man could be the mayor of Chicago way back then, of course we'd eventually have a Black president. I think it's great for this country to have a role model who is so different from the celebrities and athletes we are used to idolizing in this country. It truly was about damn time somebody stepped up into the political arena who doesn't seem like all the rest of em. That being said he is still a politician and I have to be wary until we get a chance to see what he's really all about. Let's hope he can be most of what he promises to be.

WHAT DO EWE THINK?

No comments: